|ISO Currency Code||MKD|
|ISO Country alpha-3-code||MKD|
|Date of Entry in UN||08/04/1993|
|ISO Country alpha-2-code||MK|
- the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia country
- the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia country short
- Note from Editorial Control: Style of name based on language of A/RES/47/225 (1993) adopted at the time of admission of the country to the United Nations. Resolution referred to "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".- Please note that the official country name "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" using a small "t" was established by the General Assembly in its resolution 47/225 (copy attached below).Inhabitant Adjective of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Capital City Skopje Capital Inhabitants Languages Macedonian Monetary Unit denar Monetary Unit Plural denars Currency Designation the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia denar Currency Symbol Mden Fractional Unit deni [inv.]
This was a highly controversial and politicized agreement and United Nations editors were instructed to leave the entire text of the resolution absolutely intact. The use of the initial word "the" was especially crucial and was explicitly added to ensure that for seating and voting purposes the country name would not be alphabetized in English under the word "former". The non-English versions of the country name are unaffected by any controversy relating to the use of the word "the" in the English version; they are thus unaffected by the present note.
The following three rules apply to the use of this country name in English text:
(1) A capital "T" and the wording "The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" may be used:
(a) To begin a sentence;
(b) In a "stand-alone" entry within a table or other graphic;
(c) In a vertical list of country names.
(2) In all other instances including in running text and running lists of sponsors of draft resolutions a small "t" and the wording "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" must be used.
(3) The small "f" in "former" may never be capitalized. It has been argued that if the small "t" were edited to a capital "T" in running text readers would more readily grasp that the word "the" is part of this unique country name which is alphabetized next to other countries beginning with the letter "T" rather than next to those beginning with the letter "F" or the letter "Y". Whatever its potential merit this editorial change is not permissible. The Secretariat does not have the authority to unilaterally modify this controversial General Assembly resolution 15 years after the fact.
- l'ex-République yougoslave de Macédoine [fém.] country
- ex-République yougoslave de Macédoine (l') country short
- la ex República Yugoslava de Macedonia country
- ex República Yugoslava de Macedonia (la) country short
DRAE: macedonioInhabitant macedonio Adjective de la ex República Yugoslava de Macedonia Capital City Skopie Capital Inhabitants Languages macedonio Monetary Unit denar [m.] Monetary Unit Plural denar [inv.] Currency Designation denar de la ex República Yugoslava de Macedonia Currency Symbol Mden Fractional Unit deni [inv.]
- бывшая югославская Республика Македония country
- бывшая югославская Республика Македония country short
- 前南斯拉夫的马其顿共和国 country
- 前南斯拉夫的马其顿共和国 country short
- جمهورية مقدونيا اليوغوسلافية سابقاً country
- جمهورية مقدونيا اليوغوسلافية سابقاً country short